Ken, the program has added much value to getting started. We have a small lawn care business in Virginia and with the impending retirement from the Army we are moving to Florida to start up there. Great information, a few little changes to make, and off we go. Thank you!
Thank you for the great tips in your book - the formula came in very handy in givng a quote for a 1 1/4 acre yard with roses, hedges, fruit trees, tons of bedding plants and lots of grass! We thank you again for writing the book and for all the great tips... AND - being born again Christians we really, really LOVE that you reference the Lord and faith - far too often people are afraid to include those references
Chuck and Michele Williams
Plant it Green Care
Ken,That is a great book! I read it and it is very professionally done...nice work!
Awesome book for beginner, Highly recommended and VERY reputable and Honest
I really liked your book. I think it hit home and
the more others know about it the more they will read it.
My association with you has tripled my business and moved me ahead at LEAST 3 years from where I'd be if I tried to figure it all out myself. Using the techniques in your "How to start a lawn care business" program has definitely saved me time, frustration AND MONEY! Thank you!
-Jeremy Mushero, JM and Sons Lawn Specialists
How to Start a Lawn Care Business a Whole New Way! is the title of the book and it is one of The Lawn Blogs must reads. There are a lot of books on this topic out there but only a few can capture its reader. This book when you start to read it you want to finish it...you are able to take something with you, and apply it to your business. Great job Ken! We look forward to any future works.
-The Lawn Blog
Starting and Running a fun, profitable
lawncare and landscape business
Make $60-$80 per man hour doing what you love
Table of Contents
1. Intro - My story and how it applies to you
- From rags to .... GREASY rags!
- The "Big Break" that just about broke ME!
- Taking inventory of your beliefs
- How I went from making $25 per man-hour to more than $60 per man hour almost overnight.
- Trusting the beat of my own drummer
2. Before you "Hang your Shingle"
- Plan? We don't need no stinking plan!
- Define your market - define yourself
- Pick two and "Know the WHY?"
- Business formation
- Managing and the art of NOT managing
3. Thinking outside the grass catcher
- Allowing for the possibilities
- Either OR vs. Both or Nothing
- Focus on what you WANT, not what you don't want.
- Diet isn't just for your body
8. Insurance, health and retirement
- Insurance, Worker's Compensation, Auto and Liability
- Health insurance, HSAs and Retirement plans
9. Big Picture Strategies
- Finding your "Lieutenant"
- Going it alone your first year
- Taking time off
- Working on YOU
10. In the office - where it all begins
- Time and money saving tips in the office
- Email and the web - use, but don't abuse, the WWW
- Entering statement charges / invoices
- Payroll and payroll taxes
- Billing and Paying bills
- Collecting and depositing money
11. Your clients! Who makes it all possible?
- Returning calls, Surveys and communication
- Pruning Your Clients
- Thank your Clients
- Pray for your Clients
12. How Much? Estimating, budgeting, money and growth
- Estimates, Budgeting and the LAW OF ATTRACTION
- Out of sight, out of mind - The "Sweep Account"
- Encourage Spring Pre Pays to improve cash flow!
- Pre Pay Winter Expenses
- Finance, Debt and Growth
- Growth! Your worst enemy or best friend?
13. Running the shop! AND getting OUT of the shop and on the road.
- Equipment Lineup - Riding mowers, Wide area Walk behind mowers, Trimmers and Blowers, String trimmers, Hand held blowers, Backpack blowers, Hand Tools, Tractors, Trucks, Trailers, Dumping (trailer or insert), Plows, Vacuum systems, Hedge trimmers, Split shaft system, Hand Tools,
14. In the field!
- Workday, How long to work, vacations.
- Mowing and Trimming
- General: Size of crew
- Spring and Fall Cleanup / Fall Prep
- Hedge trimming and pruning
- Fertilization and lawn treatment
- Organic Lawn Care
- Loam and Seed / Lawn Installation
- Mulching, Edging and Regular Maintenance
- The ONE service to NEVER allow with a new client!:
- The DREADED One Time Mowing!:
- Cleaning up in general
- Annual Color (flowers)
- Prepare for change of seasons - Snow!
- A few more words about estimating
15. Employees and Subs
- Your Job / Their Job
- The Science of Subs - What, when where, how and why?
16. Sales and Marketing
- Look to existing clients first
- Yellow pages, Newspapers and Website
- Door Hangers and Site Signs
- Truck Lettering and T-Shirts
- Other marketing tips and resources.
- Do Unto Others
17. Tips for Better Business and Better Living
- Additional Bonus Material (new stuff!)
- Tips for working efficiently
18. Resources (Also Known as "Important Stuff")
- Lawn Care and Landscape Specific Books and Web Resources
- Other Business Books and Web Resources
- Spiritual, Personal Development and Business Books and Web Resources
- Sample Client Survey